The Country & People of Kuwait
This page contains links to sites in Kuwait and Kuwait related sites.
For Middle East, North Africa, Arab and regional information visit Arab Countries
Kuwait, officially State of Kuwait, independent sheikhdom (1995 est. pop. 1,817,000), 6,177 sq mi (16,000 sq km), NE Arabian peninsula, at the head of the Persian Gulf, bounded by Saudi Arabia (S) and Iraq (N and W). The capital is Kuwait. It is a sandy and barren country. With more than 10% of the world's estimated oil reserves, Kuwait is a leading exporter of petroleum and has used some of the enormous profits for social improvements. In the 1960s the government launched a program of industrial diversification, successfully introducing oil refining and production of natural gas and fertilizers. The population is predominantly Arab and Sunni Muslim, although only half the inhabitants are native-born.
Kuwait, settled by Arab tribes in the early 18th cent., has been ruled since its inception by the al-Sabah dynasty. Nominally an Ottoman province, the sheikhdom became a British protectorate in 1897, remaining so until independence in 1961. Oil production began in the 1940s and was controlled by a joint British-American firm until 1974, when Kuwait nationalized most of the operations. Kuwait took part in the Arab oil embargo against nations that supported Israel in the 1973 Arab-Israeli War and is a member of the Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC). In Aug. 1990, Kuwait was invaded and forcibly annexed by Iraq, an act that led to and was reversed by the Persian Gulf War. The war and widespread looting and intentional destruction by Iraqi troops devastated Kuwait, particularly its oil fields, but by the end of 1992 the country had repaired nearly all the damage and its oil output was at about the prewar level. Large areas of land, however, remained environmentally devastated. In 1992, opposition candidates won a majority of the seats in parliament; the al-Sabah family, however, continued to dominate the government. An Iraqi military buildup near the Kuwait border led the U.S. to send troops to Kuwait in 1994. Parliament was dissolved by the sheikh in May 1999; elections in July gave Islamist and liberal candidates the most seats. An edict (1999) by the sheikh giving Kuwaiti women the right to vote and run for office failed to win parliamentary ratification. In the July, 2003, parliamentary elections Islamists won 42% of the seats, while liberals retained only a handful; government supporters won 28% of the seats.
Copyright (c) 2003 Columbia University Press.
Used by permission of Columbia University Press.
General information, cities, towns, municipalities, places, flag, maps, useful Information....
Economy, reports, statistics, banks, directories, jobs, investment, promotion....
General resources, heritage, art, literature, photography, cinema, music, song, dance, cultural, scientific,
environmental, sporting entities & info....
Schools, colleges, academies, universities, polytechnics, institutions, research, resources, projects....
Ancient & modern history, human rights, politics & political parties, related sites, articles....
Newspapers, magazines, news, newsletters, news agencies, radio, TV, internet, articles, reports, cartoons....
Government, ministries, overseas missions, embassies, corporations, organizations, industrial entities, centers,
public hospitals, institutions, societies, foreign entities....
Airlines, air, sea & coach charters services, travel, tours, guides, hotels, resorts, inns, hostels, health,
travel tips, weather....
Gateways, search engines and directories to country related sites and information....
Arab World: Middle East, North Africa, Arab and regional information. Resources to other Arab countries....
Most local links in other categories also include extensive or interesting country information.
All sites are in English or an English version is available except where indicated with flag(s) without "+".
The flag(s) means the site is available in the language of the flag(s). If more than 5 languages (other than Arabic or English) the UN flag is used, example
means 5 languages other than English or Arabic
means it is available in Arabic only and + is available in Arabic and English
General Information Also see Travel
- All Referer
Earth & environment, history, literature & arts, people, places, plants & animals, religion, science & technology, sports & everyday life....
- AME Info Geography, people, government, economy, communication, transportation
- Arab DataNet
Country profile, key facts, overview, economic review, political structure, sector analysis, investment, government, companies....
- ArabInfo Overview, government, history, links
- ArabNet Overview, history, geography, business, culture, government, transport, tour guide, links
Geography, climate, people, demography, religion, education, modern history, currency, other information....
- BBC Country Profile Key facts, figures and dates
Country info, land, people, economy, society, government, history, culture, maps, statistics, links....
- CIA World Factbook
Map, geography, people, government, economy, communications, transportation, military, issues
- Country Reports
Economy, defense, geography, government, people, anthem, map, news, weather, links....
- Encarta OnLine
Info, land & resources, population, economy, government, history, other related items, links....
- Encyclopaedia of the Orient
Geography, politics, economy, health, education, religion, people, history, anthem, cities....
Almanac, fast facts, communications, on business, health & safety, transportation, traveler's directory
- Info Please General info, map, geography, government, history, land & people....
- Kuwait Online Geography, culture, government, guide, black 7, gallery, history
- Nation By Nation Info, government, human rights, news, geography, history, people, links....
- US Department of State - Background Notes
People, history, government, political conditions, economy, travel, business, foreign relations....
- US Library of Congress Everything you ever wanted to know about Kuwait....
- World66 General info, cities, history, people, economy, getting around, getting there, links....
Cities, Towns, Municipalities & Places
- The Grand Mosque +
The first place to see when you visit Kuwait - Architecture, programs, location, annexes, mosques in Kuwait....
Flag, Maps, Useful Information....
- Cellular News Cellular coverage map, systems, frequencies....
- Ethnologue Languages
- Flag Description, meaning, history, interesting facts
- Flag Explanation, historical, military & political flags, subdivisions, national emblem....
- Maps Country, regional maps, tactical pilotage charts, historical....
- Maps on the internet All types of maps from different sources
- Maps Cities & towns. Global position, altitude, WAPF (weather) forcast,
- World Clock
Local time, sunrise, sunset, GMT offset, daylight saving....
- World Paper Money Paper currency since 1960
* Arab Countries
Business and Economy
General, Economy, Reports & Statistics
- Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade Fact sheet (pdf) & travel information....
- Bilateral Relations with Japan Diplomatic, investment, economic cooperation, residents....
- Kuwait Chamber of Commerce & Industry + Business center, economy, commercial directory, magazine, calendar....
- Kuwait and the IMF Position in the fund, reports....
- Kuwait Stock Exchange + Trading data, reports, quotations, rules & regulations, brokers, company codes....
- MBendi Business information, news, industries, events
- Muslim Trade Network Trade reference directory and guide....
- Organization of Islamic Countries + The most comprehensive database: statistical, economic and social
- Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries - OPEC Statistics....
- Ports Focus Ports, harbours, marinas....
- US Department of Energy Analysis, information, oil, natural gas, coal, electricity....
- US Department of State Country commercial guide 2001 (pdf)
- US Department of State Country reports on economic policy and trade practices - 1999
- World Bank Overview, news & events, data & statistics, publications & reports, development topics, projects & programs, Public Information Center
- World Trade Organization - WTO
Provides trade statistics, goods schedules, services schedules and MFN exemptions, trade policy reviews, dispute cases, and notifications
- Bank of Kuwait & the Middle East A fully interactive bank on the internet
- Burgan Bank Offers a full range of banking services
- Central Bank of Kuwait A flexible and stable monetary and financial system
- Commercial Bank of Kuwait (Tijari) Innovative products and services
- Jordan Kuwait Bank + More than just a bank
- Kuwait Finance House + Islamic bank. A non-interest based financial institution
- National Bank of Kuwait (Watani) +
Banking & online services, economics & markets
Directories, Job Opportunities
- Career Kuwait Online recruiters
- Kuwait Link Commercial search engine limited to businesses in Kuwait
- Kuwait's Top List Kuwait business, company profiles, hotels of Kuwait....
- Q8 Companies Alphabetical listing....
- ProLinks Kuwait Job & Career Center
Investment & Promotion....
* Arab Countries
Art, Culture & Sport
General Resources, Heritage....
- Tareq Rajab (Private) Museum Events, manuscripts, costumes, metal Work, ceramics, orientalists, jewellery....
Art, Literature, Photography, Cinema....
- May Al-Saad Portraits & Galleries
- Q8 Art Galleries + Various artists....
- Kuwait Pictures +
An original collection of recent pictures about Kuwait
- Internet Movie Database Movie & TV reports
Music, Song & Dance....
Cultural, Scientific, Environmental, Sporting Entities & Info
- Animal Info Threatened species, environmental and social data
Information on quantity and quality of freshwater and its availability
- BirdLife To determine the priorities for bird conservation in the region
- Green Line Environmental issues, articles, news....
Kuwait national football team. Coming events, songs, diwania, goals, cartoons, FM + news
- Kuwait Dive Team +
Projects, enviromental issues, articles, contacts....
- Qadsia Sporting Club +
Establishment, members, presidents, superiority cup, sports....
* Arab Countries
Schools, Colleges, Academies, Universities & Polytechnics
- American School of Kuwait
For students who seek entrance into the finest of stateside colleges and universities
- British School of Kuwait Most rigorous, rounded and relevant British style education in Kuwait
- Gulf English School Bilingual, all-age school based upon the British national curriculum
- Kuwait English School KG to IGCSE A/S and 'A' Level
- Kuwait National English School Maximum individual attention
- Mohamed Saleh Aladsani School School info, scientists of the week....
- Kuwait University Official home page
- WorldWide Classroom University & adult education, K12 & teen....
Institutions & Organizations
- Institute of Banking Studies To prepare candidates for professional qualifications in banking & finance
- Public Authority for Applied Education and Training +
Supervise training centers and institutes affiliated to state ministries
Research, Resources & Projects
- Safat A list of schools, clubs, associations, research centers and institutes which are concerned about people with special needs
* Arab Countries
History, Human Right & Politics
Ancient & Modern....
- Kuwait Past + Timeline and rulers
- Political Geography Land and people, economy, government, history....
- World Statesmen Flags, chronology, rulers, governors, ministers, commissioners....
Human Rights, Politics & Political Parties....
- Amnesty International + News, reports, urgent action. Latest annual report....
- Human Rights Watch + Human rights developments & report
- National Committee for Missing & POW's Affairs Release of all Kuwaiti POWs and provide support and aid to their families
- Public Authority for Assessment of Compensation for Damages resulting from the Iraqi Aggression - PAAC +
Responsible for all aspects of the UNCC claims process in Kuwait
- US Department of State Country reports on human rights practices
Related Sites, Articles....
- Constitution Background, history & news
- Elections Results, parties, parliament, electoral institutes, electoral calendar, political database....
* Arab Countries
Visit Arab Media for satellite stations & Arab newspapers
- Al-Dostoor Weekly newspaper
- Al-Forqan Monthly magazine
- Al-Hadaf Weekly newspaper
- Al-Anba Daily newspaper
- Al-Qabas Daily newspaper
- Al-Rai Al-Aam Daily newspaper
- Al-Seyassah Daily newspaper
- Al-Watan Daily newspaper
- Anhar Monthly magazine - Cultural
- Dar Al-Yaqza Assorment of magazines & newspapers - Cultural, economy, politics
- Homat Al-Watan + Monthly magazine - Military
- Kuwait Times Daily newspaper
OnLine News, Newsletters, News Agencies....
- Al-Yaqza Online Includes Al-Yaqza magazine, Dalal magazine, Al-Iktisadia weekly newspaper....
- Kuwait Automotive Kuwait autos online news....
- Kuwait News Agency + Online news, archives, pictures, services....
- Washington Post News & references
- Yahoo full news coverage
Radio, TV, Internet....
- Kuwait Business Chat rooms, forums, cinemas, classifieds, categorized directory, entertainment....
- Radio Kuwait.Org 1:00 PM news, 8:00 PM news (ram)
Articles, Reports, Cartoons....
- One World + Articles and news from different sources
* Arab Countries
Visit Arab Organizations for Pan-Arab, middle East, North Africa and regional organizations
Government & Organizations....
Government, Ministries, Overseas Missions, Embassies....
- Chiefs of State and Cabinet Members
- Political Leaders Dates and figures of the leadership since 1950 (with pictures)
- Council of Ministers Legal advice & legislation, fatwa law, constitution, law library....
- Government Mall + A public service project which provides services to most governmental agencies
- Kuwait Investment Authority Improving the quality of investment operations and processes
- Ministry of Awqaf and Islamic Affairs
- Ministry of Communications
- Ministry of Education
- Ministry of Finance +
- Ministry of Health + Services, directory, announcements, news, employment, birds flu....
- Ministry of Interior + Services, events, history....
- Ministry of Information Exploiting all media means towards helping the Kuwaiti society
- Ministry of Justice + The administrative arm of the legal system in Kuwait
- Ministry of Planning + Statistics, library....
- Ministry of Public Works Statistics, library....
- Embassy of Kuwait - Tokyo, Japan +
History, system of government, economy, environment, Kuwait way of life, consular affairs....
- Kuwait Information Office - Washington, USA
Current Issues, newsroom, the Gulf war, POWs, scholars Corner....
- Permanent Mission of Kuwait to the UN
Kuwait and the UN, resolutions (Kuwait and Iraq), facts and figures....
Corporations, Organizations, Public Hospitals and Industrial Entities
- Al-Rashid Hospital Private hospital in Salmiya
- Kuwait National Petroleum Company Core purpose is to provide a strategic role in the Kuwaiti oil sector
Centers, Institutions, Societies....
- Kuwait Red Crescent Society +
A voluntary humanitarian society providing help and assistance to the most vulnerable people
- British Embassy
The embassy offers consular, commercial and visa services to members of the public....
- French Embassy - Commersial Section +
French imports from Kuwait, French exports to Kuwait, market share....
- US Embassy +
US mission, consular services, latest news, US policy, journals, articles....
- British Counsil
Library and information services, events, news, conferences, learn English
- United NationsUnited Nations Development Programme
- US Committee for Refugees
Reports on conditions for refugees and internally displaced persons
- World Health Organization Tobacco & health, socio-economic situation
* Arab Countries
Travel & Tourism
Airlines, Air, Sea & Coach Charters Services
- Kuwait Airways Information about all our flights and services
- Airports Airport names, cities and codes
- Kuwait International Airport Flight information, statistics, weather, news, services, about Kuwait....
Travel, Tours, Guides.... More country info
- Q8 Diner + An informative directory of restaurants and related news....
- Lonely Planet Travel information, maps, photos, background historical and cultural information
- Middle East Travel
Accommodation, history, after hours, travel info, addresses, cities & sights, business....
- Travel Guide General & travel info, money, duty free, health, accommodation, visas....
- World Travel Guide
Accommodation, addresses, business, climate, essentials, resort, social, travel
Hotels, Resorts, Inns, Hostels....
- Marriott JW Kuwait Connected to the prestigious Al Salhiya shopping and office complex
- Messilah Beach Hotel Midway between the airport and the city centre
- M?venpick Hotel Kuwait
- Safir International Hotel Within walking distance of major attractions
- All Hotels Hotels, description & rates
- Hotels Travel Hotels directory & tourist information
- Inn26 Hotels and motels directory, local info....
- Kuwait Hotels Travel Guide Offers hotels and resorts online reservations
- Q8 Hotels Kuwait Hotels, Travel Guide , Shopping, Visa Info....
Health & Travel Tips
- Foreign & Commonwealth Office Travel information, country advise, latest travel updates....
- Travel Document Systems Passports, visas, travel documents
- US Consular Information Visa, health, crime/drug penalties....
- Tide Calendar Tide times, sunset, sunrise and global position
- Weather Underground Temperature, humidity, pressure
- Yahoo Weather By city. Forcast, sunrise, sunset, humidity, wind, dewpoint....
* Arab Countries
Visit Arab Gateways for Arab and other country links
Gateways to Kuwait
- Kuwait Information + Directory of companies and organisations, rules, weather, events, language, links, recipes and other info
- Kuwaitiah.Net + Directory and information - Pocket PC friendly
- Q8 Directory Directory and city guide
* Arab Countries